Amoxicillin and Ampicillin, these twain antibiotics are beta-lactam antibiotics that effectively treat bacterial infection and not a viral infection. They are structurally similar and also belongs to the same class, hence, drug interactions are the same. Capsule, injection, and suspension are the available modes of administration. (2)
The mechanism of action, chemical composition, and other properties of these twain are similar. However, there are some baseline differences. Amoxicillin antibiotic has a combination of clavulanic acid, which averts antibiotic resistance. Hence, it is preferred over ampicillin. The dosage and treatment tenure is also different based on the syndrome.
Amoxicillin 500 takes 7-10 days, whereas Ampicillin 500 takes 10-14 days to cure the disease. The frequency of side effects is >1% higher than ampicillin. The drug indications vary from case to case, therefore, effectiveness cannot be compared. One must take the advice of a medical practitioner to determine the dosage and duration details of these antibiotics. (3)
Also Read – The Go-To Drug for Bacterial Infection, Amoxicillin
What are the ailments treated by Amoxicillin?
Bacterial infections that can be treated by Amoxicillin uses are:
- Skin infection – Amoxicillin doses are prescribed for treating skin structure infections caused by bacterial strains like coli, Streptococcus, or Staphylococcus (such as Staphylococcus aureus).
- Ear Infection – Amoxicillin benefits treat otitis media infections like nose and throat infections caused by bacteria like Haemophilus influenza, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus spp., or Pneumonia.
- Respiratory Tract Infection – Infection in the lower part of the respiratory system caused by Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, H. Influenzae, or Streptococcus pneumonia.
- Urinary Tract Infection – Bacterial strains of Enterococcus faecalis, Escherichia coli, P. mirabilis, etc. causing urinary infections can be treated.
- Gonorrhea – Neisseria Gonorrhea caused gonorrhoea in male and female, which can be treated by this antibiotic.
- Duodenal Ulcer – Bacteria Pylori ceases its growth on the application of Amoxicillin. This heals duodenal ulcers. (4)
Also Read – Ampicillin- A broad Spectrum Antibiotic Drug
What are the ailments treated by Ampicillin?
Ampicillin 500 is often prescribed to treat bacterial strains as follows:
- Gastrointestinal Tract Infection – P. mirabilis, Enterococci, Shigella, Salmonella, E. coli, and S. typhosa are treatable with ampicillin uses.
- Genitourinary Tract Infection – N. gonorrhoeae, S. typhosa, P. mirabilis, Shigella causing the genitourinary infection can be cured.
- Respiratory Tract Infection – Non-penicillinase generating influenzae, streptococci, and staphylococci causing respiratory tract infection can be treated.
Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is researching the appropriate use of antibiotics. They are providing healthcare practitioners with added support to select the right antibiotic, in order to reduce antibiotic resistance. (5)
Some common amoxicillin and ampicillin side effects are diarrhoea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and rash. If a person is already under any medication or has recently taken any vaccine then a doctor must be informed regarding the same.
Anzen Exports – The API Exporter
Anzen Exports is dedicated to exporting API to national and international pharmaceutical companies. We are catering to 655 companies across 65 nations. We have in-stock API for medicines covering all variations of ailments.
We are looking forward to answering your queries on our product line or read your comments on this blog. Connect with us today to explore APIs.
Anzen Exports’ blog posts are based just on our research from cited websites. To be best informed, we advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine prior to taking it.
Website – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC283831/
Website – https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/difference-between-amoxicillin-penicillin-3509817/
- Single Care
Website – https://www.singlecare.com/blog/ampicillin-vs-amoxicillin/
Website – https://www.medicinenet.com/amoxicillin_moxatag_vs_ampicillin_amoxil/article.htm#what_are_the_side_effects_of_amoxicillin_and_ampicillin
- Animal Research
Website – http://www.animalresearch.info/en/drug-development/drug-prescriptions/amoxicillin/#:~:text=The%20main%20difference%20between%20ampicillin,may%20kill%20bacteria%20slightly%20quicker.