World Health Organization (WHO) observes World Antibiotic Awareness Week 2020 for raising cognizance about antibiotic resistance. They assert the judicious use of antimicrobial combating drugs and comprehensively define “Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change in response to the use of these medicines. Bacteria, not humans or animals, become antibiotic-resistant.” (1)
Antibiotic drugs are prescribed to treat bacterial infections, categorically. If an ailment or infection is caused by bacteria and cannot be treated with the traditional way of treatment by antibiotic, then it can be fatal. Contemporarily, the issue of antibiotic resistance is a global threat and an international emergency. WHO says that the poverty-driven condition is causing many infections that are resistant to treatment through antibiotics. Some illnesses under this category are: (2)
Table of Contents
Best Ways to Observe World Antibiotic Awareness Week (WAAW)
This week is for raising awareness about the best use of antimicrobial medication. It is also celebrated for creating a national framework to support medical experts and researchers in achieving their goal. The antibiotic definition is the formulation of medicines that can cease the bacterial action causing infection and getting multiplied in the human body. Let us all take a step forward in this endeavor by maintaining the following:
- Basic cleanliness – One should always maintain basic hygiene and cleanliness; keeping hands clean with regular hand wash in intervals. Always keep scraps or cuts cleaned and properly bandaged with minimal contact from the outer environment. Cook, preserve and serve food in a salutary way. Keep the home clean and disinfected. Wear clean clothes.
- Eat Healthily – One should know the nutrient value of each food item and plan a balanced diet that can boost the immune system and combat disease causing factors.
- Vitalizing mental health – Mental happiness braces physical strength, hence, cultivating happiness in the family, surrounding and the workplace is one of the utmost factors.
- The right dose of medicine – One should always consult a physician before taking medicine and strictly follow the prescribed dosage structure. Taking the wrong dose of antibiotics is a potent factor in influencing antibiotic resistance. Also, anyantibiotic side effects must be notified to the physician in order to take necessary action in treating the infection.
- Contagious factors – Infectious diseases are contagious in nature. Therefore, precautions must be taken to maintain sterile surroundings near the infected patients.
Steps by the Ministry of Health (MOH) in observing the WAAW 2020
Health Facilities Infection Control General Department under MOH is launching awareness activities at the international level. They are making policies to encourage officials and health practitioners to adopt best practices in preventing drug-resistant infections. In association with WHO and FDA, they are also taking measures in ensuring the quality of drugs. Apoor-quality drug may trigger drug resistance. With effective training, education, and communication, they are striving to make each individual take a righteous step in this endeavor. (3)
API in Ensuring the Quality of Medicine
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) is the medicinal part of the medicine that has a therapeutic effect. This is the most important factor determining the quality of medicine and its effect on curing diseases.
In the objective to ensure the best quality of API, Anzen Exports has dedicated its 29 years of endurancetomining the best API manufactures in India. It exports these to 65 medicine manufacturers across the world. Their product range under the category of API related to antibiotic serves almost all critically on-demand products. Apart from that, it also has an array of APIs for numerous categories of medicines.
The Take Home
The best way to fight any disease is a balanced diet, exercise, a healthy lifestyle, personal hygiene, strong immunity, and good mental health. Along with that, one should educate themselves and their surroundings on the proper use of medicines and dosages. All of us should be a strong unit in upholding the awareness that any ailment must be treated at the earliest. Delayed treatment can multiply the effect of disease, which can be fatal.
Anzen Exports’ blog posts are based just on our research from cited websites. To be best informed, we advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine prior to taking it.
- National Today
Website – https://nationaltoday.com/world-antibiotic-awareness-week/
Website – https://www.who.int/westernpacific/news/events/world-antibiotic-awareness-week
- Ministry of Health
Website – https://www.moh.gov.sa/en/HealthAwareness/healthDay/2020/Pages/HealthDay-2020-11-18-24.aspx