Generic Name: Rabeprazole
Chemical Formula: C18H21N3O3S
Table of Contents
Diseases Cured & Dosages
Some common diseases cured by this PPI are as followings:-
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome – Due to gastrinoma, an excessive gastric hormone is released, which stimulates the stomach to produce acid and thus cause a Peptic Ulcer.
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection – H. Pylori is a bacteria that resides inside the digestive tract, which infects the stomach and causes acid to be secreted, which in turn may lead to an ulcer. This creates a pain and burning sensation.
- Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease – It refers to the ailment that causes the acid formed in the stomach to flow back to the esophagus. This may cause ulcer.
- Peptic Ulcer Diseases –There are two types of ulcer in this disease. The first is the Duodenal Rlcer and other one is Gastric Ulcer.
- Erosive Esophagitis – Inflammation in the esophagus causes difficulty in swallowing, burning sensation, and cough (2).
Dose for adults-
|Disease||Dose for Adults||Duration|
|Zollinger-Elison Syndrome||60mg tab/capsule twice daily||1 year|
|H.Pylori Infection||20mg tab/capsule twice daily with antibiotic||7 days|
|Gastro Esophageal Reflux||10mg tab/capsule twice daily||12 weeks|
|GRD||20mg tab/capsule once daily||4 weeks|
|Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis||20mg tab/capsule once daily||12 months|
|Erosive Esophagitis||20mg tab/capsule once daily||4 – 8 weeks|
Dose for Children
|For Pediatric Patients|
|1-11 years||< 15 kg||5mg – 10mg||Max up to 12 weeks|
|1-11 years||> 15 kg||10 mg||Max up to 12 weeks|
|12 years/ Older||Variable||20 mg||Max up to 8 weeks|
Consult doctor before taking any medicine.
How to Take This Drug
Don’t crush or chew or split the dose form. Rabeprazole tablets can be taken before or after food (as advised by Doctor). Capsule or granules may be taken 30 min before taking food. Patients may open the capsule and sprinkle the granules on soft food that is at a colder or at room temperature. A small quantity of water may also be used to sprinkle the granules in the capsule. Within 15 minutes of preparation the entire dose must be consumed (3).
Mechanism and Action on Diseases
This druginhibits H+ /K+ ATPase or hydrogen-potassium adenosine triphosphatase pump that resides on the secretory surface of the gastric parietal cell. On the gastric parietal cell, Rabeprazole gets protonated, accumulated, and gets transformed into active sulfonamide. Hence gastric HCL production gets decreased. Rabeprazole dosage treats GERD by reducing acid reflux. It also controls the aggravation of peptic ulcers (4).
The concentration of the drug is absorbed in the body into two halves within1-2 hours and the first half gets absorbed. This drug gets metabolized in the liver and excreted by the kidney.
Highlighted Points about the drug
Rabeprazole cause a kidney disorder. Patients must inform the doctor, in case they feel any problem in urination or blood with urine when consuming Rabeprazole gastro-resistant tablets.
Also, the doctor must be informed, in case the patient gets diarrhea, lupus or skin rash while taking this medications,as these are signs of a new infection.
Patients with the following disorders must update the doctor before taking this medication:-
- Liver disease.
- Low bone mineral density or Osteoporosis.
- Autoimmune disorder.
- Low magnesium level in the blood.
- Low vitamin B12
A pregnant lady and nursing mother must take doctor’s advice before taking this medicine.
Side Effects of Rabeprazole
- Stomach pain or Diarrhea.
- Joint pain
- Kidney problem
- Skin rash
- Dizziness, irregular heart rate, tremors, jittery, spasm pain, and muscle pain.
- Bleeding from nose, gums, urine, stool, etc.
- Nausea, vomiting
Extreme Reaction with Other Drugs
Following is the list of drugs, which may interact with Rabeprazole Sodium(5):-
Took More Than What is Prescribed
No problem if it is just one or two extra doses. However, if experiencing the following symptoms, patients must inform the doctor.
- Flushed skin
- Skipped heartbeat
- blurred vision
What If Any Dose is Missed Out
- In case the patient is on a single dose per day, and skips any dose then they must take the missed dose within a gap of at least 12 hours before the next dose.
- In casethe patient is on double dose per day, and skips any dose then they must take the missed dose within a gap of at least 4 hours before the next dose.
In case the mentioned duration between the two doses is not maintained, then that missed dose can be skipped completely.
Patients are advised not to self-medicate and follow doctor’s advice only.
Anzen Exports’ blog posts are based just on our research from cited websites. To be best informed, we advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine prior to taking it.
Date – 15th June 2020
Date – 31st Oct 2018
Date – 31st Oct 2018
- Drug Bank
Website – https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01129
- Mayo Clinic
Website – https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/rabeprazole-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20066981?p=1