How it works
Commonly sold under the brand name Votrient, Pazopanib is not a chemotherapy drug but one of the many “targeted therapies.” Targeted therapy is the result of about 100 years of research dedicated to understanding the differences between cancer cells and normal cells. Till date, cancer treatment has focused primarily on killing rapidly dividing cells because one feature of cancer cells is that they divide at a rapid growth. Unfortunately, some of our normal cells divide quickly, too, causing multiple side effects. Such targeted therapy is about identifying other features of cancer cells. (2)
This drug finds widespread usage in the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma. The actual dosage of Pazopanib that a patient will receive depends on many factors, like their general health and other ailments, including the type of cancer they are suffering from. The medication is administered in tablet form orally on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after eating. (2)
The common side effects of this TKI includes: (3)
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Altered senseof taste
- Nausea and vomiting(may be severe)
- Numbness/tingling/redness in hands or feet
- Changes in hair or skin colour
- Joint or muscle pain
- High blood pressure(Hypertension),
- Pain in the tumour, stomach or abdomen
- Shortness of breath
- Peeling rash
- Swelling of extremities
- Mouth soresor swelling of the mouth or lips
- Hair loss
- Chest pain
Precautionary measures (2)
- Before commencing treatment, make sure you inform your doctor about any other medications you are taking (including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamins, herbal remedies, etc.).
- While on a course of Pazopanib, consult your doctor before you take Aspirin.
- While taking Pazopanib, do not receive any kind of immunization or vaccination without your doctor’s approval.
- Inform your health care professional if you are pregnant or may be pregnant prior to starting this treatment.
- For both men and women: Use contraceptives and do not conceive a child (get pregnant) while taking Pazopanib. Barrier methods of contraception such as condoms are recommended.
- Do not breastfeed while consuming this drug.
Bettering the lives of patients
Anzen Exports Pvt. Ltd. is a leading Indian exporter of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients, herbal extracts, nutraceutical ingredients as well as cosmetic ingredients to over 70 countries worldwide. For more than three decades now, this dynamic organization has been consistently delivering solutions to make a difference to patient care worldwide
For more details, visit www.anzen.co.in
Anzen Export’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and technical team strive to provide relevant information through such articles. However, to be best informed, we advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine before taking it.
- PMC [online]
Available at : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6522548/
- Chemocare [online]