Hyoscine-N-Butyl Bromide (HBB) is the active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) present in Buscopan, the oral brand name medicine that is gaining traction in all corners of the globe. Recent reports indicate that it “may be the new pain management technique” (Health Europa).
HBB is not a new drug by any means. It was first registered in 1951, in Germany, and then it was sold worldwide as both prescription and over-the-counter drugs. In 2007, a review of the pharmacology of the API concluded that hyoscine butylbromide was an “invaluable treatment” for pain associated with abdominal cramping (Tytgat).
Europe to remain most lucrative market for HBB (Fact.MR)
Recently, meningococcal infection has become increasingly common in Europe, with stomach pain as one of the key symptoms. A survey in 2019 revealed that more and more people suffer from abdominal cramps and pain, and that adults prefer to use the oral form of the drug over any other form.
According to the report, Europe will dominate the Hyoscine N-Butyl Bromide market, fuelled by the region’s high geriatric population, who are more prone to chronic gastrointestinal diseases (Fact.MR & Globe Newswire).
For the past few years, abdominal pain and IBS cases have been on the rise, in Europe, North America, and Asia Pacific, especially India. This has caused a spike in the use of anti-spasmodic drugs in oral dose, such as Buscopan tablets. It is particularly effective for treating irritable bowel syndrome and other gastrointestinal disorders, quickly without side effects.
The snapshot of the Hyoscine N-Butyl Bromide Market given below shows the largest market for HBB is Europe and fastest growing market is India (Fact.MR).
What factors are driving the Hyoscine N-Butyl Bromide market? (Fact. MR)
- Rise in abdominal pain in the west: Already about 20% of adults in the western world are suffering from chronic abdominal pain. In addition, the geriatric (over 65) population will rise from 17.5% to 36.3% in the developed countries, according to the International Association for the Study of Pain.
- Rise in colorectal cancer: As the number of colorectal cancer cases increase worldwide, so does colonoscopy testing. HBB effectively reduces bowel spasms during a colonoscopy.
- Useful for menstrual cramps: Because the drug will not penetrate the blood-brain barrier, it is particularly suitable for treating period pain and cramps.
- Rise in IBS: An increase in the number of IBS incidences has increased the demand of anti-spasmodic drugs globally. About 2.4 to 3.5 million people visit a doctor regarding IBS in the US alone, according to the International Foundation for Gastrointestinal Disorders.
- Supporting research: More and more studies are proving that using Hyoscine N-Butyl Bromide is safe for cramping pain and abdominal pain associated with gastrointestinal disorders.
The most popular painkillers are NSAIDs such as over the counter painkillers, Ibuprofen and Tylenol. Generally, these painkillers do work really well on body aches and sprains. Over 75% of reviewers say they are worth it since they are widely available OTC medicines (Mui). Other popular pain management medication are muscle relaxants, like Methocarbamol, which is sold under the brand name Robaxin (Orrange).
Now there is a new pain management trend on the horizon.
What’s in store for the drug?
The future of the Global Hyoscine-N-Butyl Bromide market looks good with opportunities in the oral and injection industries (Market Intellica).
Considering the recent slowdown in global economy, the Hyoscine N-Butyl Bromide market size has remained relatively positive for the past four years. Reports show a healthy average annual growth rate of 16.74%, increasing from $22 million in 2015 to $35 million in 2018. Analysts expect that the market size of hyoscine butylbromide will touch $50 million by 2023 (360 Market Updates).
Anzen Exports’ blog posts are based just on our research from cited websites. To be best informed, we advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine prior to taking it.
360 Market Updates. “Global Hyoscine N Butyl Bromide Market Report 2019.” Market Research Reports, Industry Analysis, Business Overview & Trends – 360 Market Updates, 4 Feb. 2019, www.360marketupdates.com/-global-hyoscine-n-butyl-bromide-market-13639078.
Fact.MR. “Hyoscine-N-Butyl Bromide Market Forecast, Trend Analysis & Competition Tracking- Global Market Insights 2018-2027.” Fact.MR, Mar. 2019, www.factmr.com/report/3269/hyoscine-n-butyl-bromide-market.
GlobeNewswire. “Oral Consumption of Hyoscine-N-Butyl Bromide Growing in Pain Management: Fact.MR Survey.” GlobeNewswire News Room, 25 Mar. 2019, www.360marketupdates.com/-global-hyoscine-n-butyl-bromide-market-13639078.
Health Europa. “Hyoscine-N-Butyl Bromide may be the new pain management technique.” EU Healthcare & Social Care News | Health Europa, 12 Apr. 2019, www.healtheuropa.eu/hyoscine-n-butyl-bromide-pain-management-technique/91299/.
Market Intellica. “Global Hyoscine-N-Butyl Bromide Market Study 2016-2026.” Market Intellica, 14 Oct. 2019, www.marketintellica.com/report/MI31408-global-hyoscine-n-butyl-bromide-market.
Tytgat, GN. “Hyoscine Butylbromide: a Review of Its Use in the Treatment of Abdominal Cramping and Pain. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information, 2007, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17547475.