Nutritional Content of Cranberry
According to USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), one cup of raw cranberry is fortified with 46gm of calories, 12gm carbohydrate, 1gm protein, 4gm sugar, 4gm fiber, 1gm protein, and 2mg of sodium. The best part is, it has no fat content. Among its array of benefits, one of the most effective is its efficacy against frequent urination and urinary tract infection. (2)
It is highly rich in polyphenolic properties. The polyphenols for skin is very important to combat aging and hyperpigmentation as well as enhance elasticity.
It has a wide range of Vitamin B, including thiamine (Vitamin B1), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), and B6. Cranberry is also a potent source of Vitamin C. It is advisable to consume Cranberry raw, as it loses a certain amount of its vitamin content on drying. (3)
Flavonoid is another natural nutrient available in raw cranberry, which is rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenic, anti-viral and antioxidant properties. It helps fight detrimental diseases such as Alzheimer, Cancer, Diabetes, Neurodegenerative disorders, and cardiovascular diseases. (4)
Source of Cranberry
60% of the global production of raw Cranberry comes from Wisconsin, Pacific Northwest, and Chile. It is generally grown in sandy bogs and marshes of wild long-running vines.
Different Uses of Cranberry
Cranberry is used in tablets capsules and pills for medicinal purposes to treat an array of diseases. It is also used in food items to enhance flavor.
- Juice – Benefits of cranberry juice are variant. It is also very tasty and tangy.
- Sauce – Cranberry sauce is used for several culinary purposes and also with snacks.
- Cranberry dried slices – It can be added to various other food products like cake, biscuits, sweets, chocolates, etc.
- Prevents urinary tract infections – Cranberry is effective against E.coli bacteria causing bladder infection or urinary bladder infection. It has a proanthocyanins compound that prohibits the E.coli bacteria from getting attached to the urethra and bladder lining. This in turn ceases their multiplication process and thus, prevents the spread of infection.
- Improves cardiac health – Consuming this fruit lowers the risk of cardiac diseases by increasing the level of HDL or good cholesterol by reducing the oxidation of cholesterol.
- Protects from stomach ulcers – It eliminates H.Pylori bacteria, which causes stomach ulcers.
- Reduces Blood Sugar levels – Cranberry juice can reduce blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. Therefore, Cranberry juice is often suggested to diabetic patients.
- Ensures teeth and gums health – Proanthocyanins compounds in cranberry prevents bacterial growth in the mouth, hence, protects from cavities and gum decay.
- Immunity booster –With several antioxidant properties, it boosts the immunity system of the body so it can combat various diseases.
- Delays cancer progression – It fights against the cancer cells, slows the growth, and reduces inflammation.
- Weight Management – Cranberry increases HDL lipoprotein and also has high fiber content, therefore, reduces the chance of body weight gain.
- Skincare – Cranberry extract benefits for skincare products is the current hype of the cosmetics market. It boosts collagen production, carries oxygen and nutrients to the skin, gives the skin a glow, makes the skin firm, and provides protection against UV rays. (5)
- Myeloperoxidase deficiency – Myeloperoxidase is an enzyme that fights against bacteria, viruses, and fungus. Deficiency in this enzyme may induce viral and bacterial diseases. Cranberry has antifungal properties that support patients with this deficiency disorder (6)
- Endothelium function – Cranberry reduces the fraction of endothelial progenitor cells expressing osteocalcin. (7)
It is safe to take 1500 mg per day in form of tablets or pills. 120-300ml of cranberry juice is safe to take 1-3 times daily. 120-800mg of cranberry is advisable in dried form. (8)
Anzen Exports Trading Cranberry Extracts
Anzen Exports is one of the leading exporters of herbal extracts, nutraceutical extracts, and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients. Cranberry extract is one of its top-selling products in the herbal category. With our experience of more than 30 years in this industry, we have handpicked the best product in the market, as the quality of these extracts determines the healing effect of the medicine.
The Take Away
Herbal or organic products are bounteous with health benefits and medicinal values. Take it in raw, dried, or medicinal form and protect your body from diseases. It is not just advantageous for health but also feasts taste buds. To know more about flavored herbal products and their related health value, keep reading our blogs. Comment or share your experience in the section below.
Anzen Exports’ blog posts are based just on our research from cited websites. To be best informed, we advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine prior to taking it.
Website – https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-benefits-cranberries#
- Everyday Health
Website – https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/cranberries-nutrition-benefits-uses-side-effects-and-more/
- S Department of Agriculture
Website – dc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/786774/nutrients
Website – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5465813/
Website – https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cranberry-pills#antioxidant-content
- News 24.com
Website – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22382203/#:~:text=endothelial%20progenitor%20cells-,Polyphenol%2Drich%20cranberry%20juice%20has%20a%20neutral%20effect%20on%20endothelial,osteocalcin%2Dexpressing%20endothelial%20progenitor%20cells
Website – https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-958/cranberry