It is interesting to note that all the parts of this tree are used for medicinal purposes, especially the dried fruit. The fruits of this tree are astringent (bitter) and acrid (sour) in taste. (1)
Highly beneficial for the gastrointestinal tract
- Enhances digestion
It actively facilitates the breaking down of food particles in the stomach and triggers digestive juices’ secretion. Not only does it help to eliminate abdominal gas while reducing abdominal distension, bloating and gaseous cramps, it also plays a pivotal role in treating a host of other gastrointestinal anomalies. (2)
- Relieves constipation
Bahera bolsters the secretion of bile by the liver, which, in turn, acts on the peristalsis movement of the intestines and liver, thereby allowing smooth passage of faecal matter from the large intestine. The laxative property of this Ayurvedic herb is crucial in minimalizing mucous as well as excess fat content in the stools, thereby preventing them from sticking to the intestinal walls. (2)
The efficacy of Bahera may vary from individual to individual depending on the age, strength, appetite and overall condition of the patient. It is strictly recommended to consult an Ayurvedic practitioner to prescribe the optimum dosage for a specific period. For adults, the usual prescribed dose is 3-6 grams of the herb along with water or honey, twice a day after meals. (2)
When using Bahera, it is essential to bear in mind the following precautions. (3)
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from diarrhoea or loose motion.
- Due to its strong potency, it can lead to hyperacidity or even gastritis.
- Women who are breastfeeding should only consume this drug after consulting with their doctor.
- Pregnant women should consume this drug after informing their medical practitioner.
- For people with diabetes – Bahera may lower blood sugar level, so it is generally advised to monitor your blood sugar level when using this drug in conjunction with anti-diabetic medicines.
- The powder or churna of Bahera, if consumed in excess, can lead to dry skin and constipation.
We encourage you to lead a healthy life
Anzen Exports is a leading exporter of an array of Ayurvedic products, including Bahera. In fact, the mainstay vis-à-vis our business is domestic trading and international export of not only herbal extracts but also active pharmaceutical ingredients and nutraceutical extracts. We believe that utmost customer satisfaction is the key to our organisation’s spectacular success for more than three decades now.
For more information and to connect with our team, visit www.anzen.co.in
Anzen Export’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and technical team strive to provide relevant information through such articles. To be best informed, we advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine prior to taking it.
- Netmeds.com [online]
- 1 mg [online]