Mucuna Pruriens is a tropical legume that has been used for thousands of years as a cure for male infertility. It also nourishes the nervous system, supports healthy sexual energy, and strengthens reproductive organs. Also known as Velvet bean, Mucuna Prurien’s benefits may extend to nervous disorders and Parkinson’s disease. The plant is a natural source of levodopa (L-dopa), a precursor to dopamine. (1)
Mainly found in the tropical regions of Africa and the Caribbean, the Mucuna beans are sometimes referred to as the ‘Magical Velvet Beans’. For research, the terminology is associated with improving brain health. The plant’s properties are considered to possess relaxant and stimulating effects for users. These properties is mainly found in the dense nourishing seeds found in the pods. (2)
Benefits of Mucuna Pruriens
Propounded as a source of nourishment and rejuvenation for the tissues, Mucuna Pruriens has multifold benefits:
- Mucuna Pruriens has a nourishing effect on the nervous system. It supports a calm and stable nervous system and lessens the stress in a person.
- It has the qualities to boost the nervous system, brain, and intellect. The seeds of the Mucuna Pruriens have been considered a tonic for the healthy neurons as the heavy, oily qualities of the sources can give strength to the healthy neurons.
- It can benefit the nervous system directly affects the muscles, facilitating the fluid, muscular system and movements, proper sensation, coordination and keen motor skills.
- The dopamine constituent of Mucuna Pruriens is one of the most important neurotransmitters for sexual behaviour and libido in men. An increase in dopamine level increases the libido. In contrast, a decrease in dopamine reduces men’s libido and sexual function.
- Mucuna Pruriens acts as a reproductive tonic for females also. It supports fertility, healthy sperm and ova, reproductive organs’ proper functioning, and healthy genital secretions.
- Clinical trials suggest that Mucuna Pruriens balances the Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and prolactin hormone by probably boosting dopamine levels.
- It promotes smooth muscle contractions and a healthy digestive function and elimination.
- It helps support and maintains balanced blood sugar levels in the body. The seeds have the highest nutrient value, similar to the common legumes.
- It has beneficial effects on Parkinson’s disease due to its active component, L-Dopa. However, still more evidence is required to rate the effectiveness of the same.
- It may have the properties to induce sleep. More evidence is required for this study.
The benefits of Mucuna Pruriens are numerous. Though not clinically proven, Mucuna Pruriens may have a positive effect on diabetes, seizures, snake venom poisoning and effects of parasites and microbes.
Side Effects commonly observed in the administration of Mucuna Pruriens are nausea, abdominal discomfort and rarely insomnia and vomiting. Overdose of the drug can also cause headaches, movement disorders, fatigue, thirst, and fainting.
With a plethora of benefits to its use, Mucuna Pruriens provides a holistic nourishment therapy to various significant systems of the body, thus contributing to overall wellness.
Anzen Exports: A One-Stop Pharma Outsourcing Company
Anzen Exports is a merchant export organisation that manufactures APIs and Finished Dosage Formulations and Development of Nutraceuticals and Nutri Cosmetic Products. They have been successfully given services to approximately 500 companies in over 70 countries worldwide, with a group turnover of over USD 70 million. With 31 years of experience in this industry, Anzen helps to provide its clients with the best service.
For over three decades now, the company has been instrumental in introducing high-quality products and services in pursuit of its mission to save and improve lives. Scientific excellence and a diverse workforce that values collaboration are the cornerstones of the success of this dynamic brand.
For more details, visit www.anzen.co.in
Anzen Export’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and technical team strive to provide relevant information through such articles. We advise consulting a doctor about an ingredient or medicine before taking it to be best informed.